ice dye lone star

 This quilt features a lone star made from ice-dyed fabrics, I used colors by Dharma Trading Co.


The lone star hung around on my design wall for a long time, waiting for the right background fabrics to compliment it. I kept trying solids and blenders and nothing was working. It wasn't until I auditioned loud and riotous patterns by Anna Maria Horner did anything make sense. It was completely unexpected to use bright floral prints as a background, but somehow it just...worked. 


I used an allover meandering stipple quilting motif since there were so many sharp lines and angles going on. The binding is hot pink bunnies as a wink to the recipient. I backed the quilt with an upcycled laura ashley flannel sheet, for extra cozy. The quilt will live in the Bay Area of California, so cozy is essential! 



Took these photos at Himmel Park in Tucson. We are lucky to have such wonderful parks with amazing murals, like this one by Joe Pagac (with a vermilion flycatcher!). 



Dimensions: 60 x 72 







Comments

  1. Another gorgeous quilt! This is your second loan star and your points look perfect. I like how you used the unexpected Anna Maria Horner fabric for the background of your star. Unexpected always wins! Your pictures always look so professional. I can't wait for my next trip to Tucson!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment