Sunday, February 28, 2016

Mandy's desert night quilt

I really really love Tucson, Arizona. There is something magical about the nights there, especially. I took advantage of the recent trend in southwest/succulent prints and collected as many of those as I could for the pieced blocks in this quilt. It was fun to hunt for low volume and orange/coral/pink versions, and vibrant turquoise prints for the centers. The large square blocks for the background were all nighttime themed.

This was also my very first attempt at appliqué and I loved it! It was really fun and not hard to do! I wanted to make silhouettes of stately saguaros and other Sonoran desert friends. I followed a tutorial by Luke Haynes on the bernina site and I feel it was a great success! 

It was really fun quilting each cactus differently! 

I backed this quilt with an old soft flannel sheet that fit perfectly and played nice while basting. I'm really glad I went with this choice, the quilt is SUPER warm and snuggly! 

I made this quilt for me to keep!!! This is my 15th quilt and I've given all of them away except the very first wonky small one. I am very satisfied with how this one came out and I love sleeping with it on my bed! 

Monday, October 5, 2015

swoon for a wedding

my friend and coworker is getting married! i made them a swoon quilt. i really loved making this quilt. i picked a lot of really amazing prints and had fun designing the color layout.
the background is "sprinkles" by cotton and steel basics, i love this as a neutral background. this was a really fun quilt to piece and the blocks are so large that it went together quickly.
i did a simple loopy line quilting so as not to detract from the piecing.
hopefully cecy and greg love it!

Thursday, June 11, 2015

the wedding ring quilt

this quilt took me 5 months to make, and contains many things i have never tried before. first time piecing with curves. i used the quick curve ruler from sew kind of wonderful and the metro rings pattern.
first time doing a full-size quilt with free motion quilting. i really used my new bernina 750QE to the best of my abilities, doing flower and leaf motifs and lots of loop de boops.
the back is an out of print alexander henry day of the dead toile, that i sourced online.
i used my bernina to embroider the bride and groom's names and their wedding date in the corner on the back.
and i used priory square for the binding.
i love this quilt a lot and i'm so HAPPY that it's DONE!!! on to the next one!!!

Sunday, May 31, 2015

A belated post

I never posted this finish from last year. This was a quilt for my son. 

I used all gray, all unisex prints. I also included different shades of gray solids. 

The back is a huge splash of color: RED! 

I did matchstick quilting, which took forever but turned out great! 

My son sleeps with this quilt every night now :)

Mission accomplished. 

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Baby Quilts...and a new machine!

I was given the most amazing and perfect Christmas gift for me...a new Bernina 750 Quilters Edition!!! I am so lucky and grateful and over the moon ...and I have the best boyfriend in the world!!

I had two baby quilts mostly pieced and I got to try free motion quilting for the first time!!! I had been struggling for a couple of years to try to FMQ on my old singer and it just wasn't happening. 

This "garland" quilt was one big new experience! I used the quick curve ruler to piece curves for the first time. I strayed from the pattern and made it into garland
motif, and used polka dots in alternating rows. This was my very first free motion experience and I tried several different patterns. 

The back is pieced from fabric I had on hand. This is after being washed and dried for that perfect crinkle!

The second baby quilt is made for one of my very good friends who is having a baby in February. I used the pink and blue charms left over from my radiating star quilt, some kona solids, and scamper by birch for the sashing. I did simple 16" star blocks which were really fun. The organic birch fabric pressed nice and crisp and was pleasing to work with.

I used an all over stipple pattern for the quilting and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Of course there are some flaws but overall I am excited about my FMQ so far!! 

Detail of block 

Detail of quilting and pink flower binding. The back is all one piece of scamper by birch.

This is also my first time posting from the blogger app! Out with the old, in with the new!!!

Monday, October 20, 2014

baby quilt finish for abby

i made a color-blocked scrappy trip around the world for my friend who is having a baby! i only photographed it with an iphone, sorry for quality! when i started this quilt, the gender was unknown but we found out quickly it will be a girl! i think the rainbow works great for either boy or girl. straightline quilted simply on the diagonal, and backed in "Sparrow" in leaf from Oh Deer! by momo. I used a woodbark print in light blue for the binding.

welcome to the world, abby! i hope you get lots of tummy time on this quilt made just for you by your tante mandy.

Saturday, April 12, 2014

tula pink finish

my second finish of 2014! that is good for me. this quilt was made almost entirely of tula pink prints. she is one of my favorite designers and i love love love everything she puts out. i decided to use larger piecing in this quilt for ease and quickness and also to show off these amazing prints. the backing is a juliana horner print that i picked up at joann, and i used a panel of the pieced part down the middle. finished dimensions 70" x 78". i used a simple swiss dot as a binding, and used variegated thread on my straightline quilting. there are so many wonderful surprises in the tula pink prints, this will make a lovely gift for a special friend. i hope she spends lots of time picking out her favorite details. xo