lo fi girl

 I am lofigirl. I have been since 2001. Recently someone else has become lofigirl, so I made a quilt about it. 




using kismet prints by sharon holland, i experimented with applique collage and florals on top of florals on top of florals. 


i cut all of the botanicals out with an exacto knife.





backed with a thrifted vintage sheet, a very 70s aesthetic. 


I used a floral quilt motif to add extra florals. 

I love how it turned out...layered and floral and almost unreadable. perfect. 

This quilt was submitted to Quiltcon 2023 and was rejected. Here is my statement/description: 

“In 2001, I chose the internet handle "lofigirl" because I loved lo-fi music and the grungey culture around DIY. It was all about making art on your own terms. I had no idea that 20 years later, "lofigirl" would be an internet sensation and also have nothing to do with me. I was approached by the owner of a successful internet franchise to sell the name in 2021, and I agreed. Afterward, I grappled with some questions: Am I still lofigirl? What does that mean to me? I created this quilt with some of these thoughts in mind: DIY, camouflage, identity. I expressed myself with florals upon florals, a thrifted sheet backing and binding for some grunge, and hand cutting the layered, raw edge applique pieces.” 



Comments

  1. So cute!!! I love how you appliqued the flowers on Lo Fi Girl!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment