the sonoran sunrise quilt

This quilt utilizes a lot of things I have been wanting to do for a long time: improv log cabin piecing and hand embroidery on the quilt top.
Each log cabin has a desert scene hand embroidered in the center (patterns from aunt martha's brand). Embroidery was the first needle art I learned, when I was about 9 years old. I have always enjoyed embroidery, I love the meditative quality. The quilting crossing the embroidered panels is especially pleasing to me.
I love playing with prints and colors, color layering and tone on tone is my favorite way to experience the fabrics. This quilt mixes mostly print fabrics in shades of orange, tan, soft pinks, and peaches. A thrifted vintage sheet with the perfect color way is the backing. I used the tag "my orange muse" #myorangemuse to track this quilt while i was making it. It took a long time, i started it in September 2018 and finished it in January 2020. I had a very eventful 2019 in which I accepted a job that entailed a lot of commuting. (A LOT.) This is the second desert-themed quilt I've made and kept. I can't let them go! This is the summer, daytime, lightweight version of mandy's desert night quilt, and that's how it got it's official "sonoran sunrise" name. This quilt lives in what was my second home, my corporate housing in long beach, ca, a piece of the desert to be with me while I'm away. Now it is July 2020, the pandemic has halted my weekly travel, and I miss this quilt very much. I can't wait until we are together again.

Comments