Baby Quilts...and a new machine!

I was given the most amazing and perfect Christmas gift for me...a new Bernina 750 Quilters Edition!!! I am so lucky and grateful and over the moon.



I had two baby quilts mostly pieced and I got to try free motion quilting for the first time!!! I had been struggling for a couple of years to try to FMQ on my old singer and it just wasn't happening. 

This "garland" quilt was one big new experience! I used the quick curve ruler to piece curves for the first time. I strayed from the pattern and made it into garland
motif, and used polka dots in alternating rows. This was my very first free motion experience and I tried several different patterns. 




The back is pieced from fabric I had on hand. This is after being washed and dried for that perfect crinkle!

The second baby quilt is made for one of my very good friends who is having a baby in February. I used the pink and blue charms left over from my radiating star quilt, some kona solids, and scamper by birch for the sashing. I did simple 16" star blocks which were really fun. The organic birch fabric pressed nice and crisp and was pleasing to work with.


I used an all over stipple pattern for the quilting and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Of course there are some flaws but overall I am excited about my FMQ so far!! 


Detail of block 


Detail of quilting and pink flower binding. The back is all one piece of scamper by birch.

This is also my first time posting from the blogger app! Out with the old, in with the new!!!

Comments