jelly roll quilt in progress

i started a jelly roll race quilt to give to my friend sherri, her birthday is coming up. besides being my good friend and adopted family member for the last ten years, sherri is my quilting buddy. my pattern has been to order fabric online for quilt tops and then go with sherri to a brick and mortar store to pick out backing. she has an incredible eye and it really helps to have someone to bounce ideas off of during the fabric selection process. i ordered a jelly roll online, all prints, and added in about a dozen solid strips of complimentary colors to beef it up in size.
somehow the stripes run vertically? i'm not sure how this happened.
my cat natasha approves. so the funniest part of all of this to me is that after i finished the top, i dragged sherri to the store with me to pick out the backing. i stood back and let her make all the choices, she was very excited. i LOVE that she picked out the back for her own quilt and she didn't even know it! sherri also helped me smooth and pin the quilt sandwich together. this is always the most challenging part for me, i need some tips!
i did straightline quilting on my machine, and just finished the quilting a couple of days ago. i had ended up cutting the back a little short, so i had to add a couple of solid strips for coverage. not ideal but quilts are patchwork, right?
her birthday is sunday so i just have to do the binding by then! i can't wait to give it to her! i will do a finish post with better photos when it's all done!

Comments